Managing Associate | ONTIER UK · London
Emma Hill is a commercial litigator with extensive experience in commercial and financial dispute resolution. Prior to joining ONTIER she worked for two leading offshore firms undertaking matters subject to BVI, Cayman and Guernsey law. Emma regularly advises in connection with complex and high value international disputes with multi-jurisdictional elements. She has acted on behalf of high net worth individuals, trustees, directors, shareholders and liquidators in EMEA, North America, South America and the Caribbean. Emma takes a collaborative approach to litigation matters, thinks laterally when developing dispute strategies and enjoys building a strong relationship with her clients. Emma has worked across a range of sectors including contentious trusts, general commercial litigation, restructuring and corporate recovery, regulatory and financial services litigation.
- NOx Emissions Litigation – acting on behalf of the purchasers of diesel vehicles in England and Wales against Peugeot Citroen, Jaguar Land Rover and Fiat in class action litigation following the Dieselgate scandal.
- Carlyle Capital Corporation Limited (in liquidation) and Ors v. William Elias Conway Jnr and Ors. – assisted on a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute representing The Carlyle Group and its executive directors in relation to a claim for breach of directors’ duties brought by the liquidators of the Carlyle Capital Corporation for losses exceeding US$1bn.
- TCCI & Ors v. East Forest Green Limited (in liquidation) & others – acted for a former Guernsey trustee and its directors in relation to a claim for breach of trust and dishonest assistance.
- Advising a Middle Eastern family in relation to the removal of the trustee and protector of a high value family trust.
- Advising the Guernsey trustee of a pension scheme whose member was seeking a divorce in the Family Division of the High Court in England. The case involved examination of the principles involved when a trustee seeks guidance on whether to submit to a foreign jurisdiction.
- Seeking directions from the Cayman Court on behalf of trustees in relation to the extent of their participation in US litigation relating to trust property.
- Advising Cayman liquidators in relation to ring fencing trust property in the liquidation estate.
- Advising a Cayman trustee in relation to exercising its discretion in order to exclude beneficiaries.
- Queen’s University Belfast (BA Hons) – 2004
- Nottingham Law School, Graduate LLB (First Class Honours) – 2007
- Nottingham Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law – 2006
- Nottingham Law School, Legal Practice Course – 2007
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales – 2011
- Admitted to practice in the British Virgin Islands - 2019