Managing Associate | ONTIER UK · London
Simon is an experienced commercial litigator and dispute resolver. He represents clients from a variety of industry sectors, including financial institutions, telecommunications and technology corporations, car manufacturers, financial free zones, charities and ultra-high net worth individuals. He regularly advises on a broad range of national and international civil and commercial litigation, mediation, arbitral enforcement and internal investigations for which he has won awards and plaudits from the legal industry and clients alike. Able to advise in any sector, Simon has a positive and collaborative approach to his work and enjoys strong relationships with his clients, developing creative strategies for obtaining results which are legally and commercially beneficial to them. Simon trained at Clifford Chance, during which time he spent four months on secondment in the Royal Courts of Justice working as judicial assistant to Mr (now Lord) Justice Briggs and was subsequently an Associate with Shearman & Sterling.
- Representing Viorel Micula in the enforcement of a US$250 million ICSID Convention award against Romania in proceedings before the English High Court and Court of Appeal in which he successfully obtained an order for GB£150 million as security for damages against Romania. Viorel Micula & Ors v Romania  EWHC 31 and 1430 (Comm) and  EWCA Civ 1801
- Part of the award-winning team advising Abu Dhabi Global Market on the formation of its constitutional and statutory regime, including principal draftsman of the legislative framework regulating the creation, sovereignty, jurisdiction, composition and operation of, and the rules governing the procedure of civil and commercial proceedings in, ADGM Courts.
- Advising an international property development group on a c. GB£200 million multi-party claim against Bank of Scotland for damages arising out of alleged Swaps mis-selling.
- Advised Essar Global Fund Limited in resisting recognition and enforcement of a US$ 148 million New York Convention award. Travis Coal Restructured Holdings LLC v Essar Global Fund Ltd  EWHC 2510 (Comm).
- Represented Assam Oil Company Limited in resisting a summary judgment application hearing in respect of a US$63 million claim brought by ICICI Bank UK Plc. ICICI Bank UK plc v Assam Oil Company Ltd & Ors  EWHC 750 (Comm).
- Advising an investment fund in respect of various claims arising out of the liquidation of Lehman Brothers Inc. and the administration of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) Limited.
- Representing a high-net worth individual in respect of breach of contract and professional negligence disputes against a high-profile luxury property developer.
- Advised a Russian metal trading entity in respect of a c. US$300,000 shipping dispute with an Indian chemical producer.
- Providing an independent English law opinion on the construction and operation of various debt transfer provisions under a suite of finance documents for use by the creditor-client in winding-up proceedings before the Cypriot Courts.
- Assisting on various transactions and advising on issues relating to governing law clauses and jurisdiction / arbitration agreements, including drafting and negotiating those provisions.
- Acted for an international financial institution relating to a complex multi-jurisdictional market manipulation investigation.
- Advised various entities in relation to compliance, anti-bribery and corruption reviews and investigations.
- University of Bristol (BA Hons) – 2006
- College of Law, London (LLB) – 2008
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales – 2011