Derek Stinson is an experienced commercial, corporate, governance and regulatory lawyer who joined the firm in 2013 having previously spent six years at Dentons. Derek has acted as general counsel to numerous Ontier clients. Derek is also off shore qualified in the British Virgin Islands and provides general counsel advice on offshore matters.
Derek has expertise in the areas of software, block-chain, data protection, financial services, insurance, payment services, real-estate, employment, corporate finance (debt and equity), commercial, securitisation, insolvency and dispute resolution.
Derek undertakes a broad range of legal work for his clients in EMEA, North America, South America and the Caribbean. Derek is able to advise in any sector and has considerable experience advising on emerging sectors such as payment services and block-chain. Derek’s work also involves rolling-out and administering GDPR programs, both from a general privacy and employment perspective. Derek also works in the fintech and insurance sectors and is an expert on financial services regulatory matters. Derek is a member of the Governance Institute and a Chartered Secretary and regularly implements corporate governance structures for UK and international directors.
Financial Services & Fintech
- Advising a major Bitcoin/cryptocurrency operation on applicable financial services regulation.
- Advising Telefonica Insurance on FSMA regulation in connection with their 1.5m mobile insurance customers.
- Advising Oxford Insurance Brokers Limited on FS regulation and acting as the chartered secretary.
- Advising an Artificial Intelligence based hedge fund on their FSA authorisation.
- Advising a major payment services company on EU financial services regulations.
- Advising banks and other clients on their obligations under the Payment Services Directive.
- Implementing a GDPR compliance program for Obica, a multinational restaurant chain.
- Implementing the GDPR compliance program for Telefonica and completing major data mapping exercises.
- Advising on subject access requests, data breaches, impact assessments, website policies, direct marketing .
- Submitting Right to Be Forgotten requests to Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- Challenging Right to Be Forgotten submissions with the Information Commissioners Office.
- Drafting employment contracts and director service agreements.
- Advising employers on redundancies and contentious employment issues.
- Drafting and implementing disciplinary and grievance procedures, staff handbooks and other HR documents.
- Advising on and administering employee share option schemes for Farfetch.com.
Commercial and Debt Finance
- Advising San Miguel on supply contracts and agency agreements with Fullers.
- Advising Vestas, a listed Danish wind turbine company on multimillion-pound installations in Jordan, Korea and Europe.
- Advising Mexican property magnate on corporate debt matters including company securitisation.
- Advising Sotheby’s International on the sale of its Mayfair estate agency to Countrywide Plc including drafting the SPA, disclosure bundle and warranties.
- Advising a hedge fund manager on the offshore investment into a Brazilian eco resort.
- Advising a major Bitcoin Cash mining company on establishing a UK presence including the lease of their Soho office space, employment program and FCA authorisation.
- Advising a South American commodities trader on joint venture arrangements.
- Advising on public and private takeovers and acquisitions including the Takeover Code.
- Advising on the international reorganisation of Bertelsmann, the German media conglomerate.
Intellectual Property & Technology
- Managing an intellectual property portfolio for a group of companies.
- Drafting intellectual property licencing agreements.
- Drafting and advising on software licencing agreements (SAAS and otherwise).
- Making trademark office applications and defending challenges.
- Advising on intellectual property licencing and trademark applications and disputes.
- Advising on company incorporations, M&A, joint ventures, and drafting company constitutional documents.
- Advising on shareholder disputes.
- Drafting legal opinions.