Associate | ONTIER UK · London
Nicholas is an associate who specialises in Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration. His experience covers a range of commercial disputes relating to civil fraud, insolvency, corporate, aviation, property, shipping and oil & gas. He has been involved in cases heard in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Privy Council, and has a keen interest in disputes involving freezing/injunctive relief.
Nicholas joined SCA ONTIER in 2015 as a paralegal, completed his training contract with the firm and was admitted as a solicitor in autumn 2018. As a trainee, Nicholas also worked with SCA ONTIERís corporate & commercial and data protection teams and assisted on a variety of property transactions.
- Acted for one of the largest mining and metallurgy companies in Latin America in successfully bringing a claim under s.1096 of the Companies Act 2006 to rectify the Register of Companies to reverse the administrative restoration of an English LLP. The LLP had been fraudulently restored to the Register and used as a vehicle to mount litigation in Mexico regarding the ownership of shares worth US$1.5 billion (Grupo Mexico SAB de CV & anor v The Registrar of Companies for England and Wales & ors  EWHC 1306 (Ch)).
- Assisted in successfully obtaining a freezing order against assets held by a third-party English limited company under the Chabra jurisdiction in support of foreign arbitration proceedings.
- Assisted an ultra-high net worth individual based in the Middle East and a BVI corporate entity in successfully defending claims in dishonest assistance, fraudulent misrepresentation and bribery arising out of the purchase of two prime central London properties.
- Assisted in an ad hoc London-seated arbitration against a State Entity for damages arising out of a contract for the supply and processing of natural gas.
- Assisted a Ukrainian airline in defending claims by the lessor for sums alleged to be due under a lease agreement for two passenger aircraft.
- Atlasnavios – Navegação, LDA v Navigators Insurance Company Limited  EWHC 4133 (Comm) (the “B Atlantic”) – a dispute between ship owners and their insurers as to whether the confiscation of the vessel by Venezuelan authorities was covered by the owners’ insurance policy.
- Anzen Ltd & Ors v Hermes One Ltd (British Virgin Islands)  UKPC 1 – a dispute between shareholders in a BVI company as to the validity of the arbitration clause in their shareholders’ agreement.
- University of Bristol, BSc (Hons) Biochemistry with Medical Biochemistry – 2010
- University of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction) – 2012
- BPP University, Legal Practice Course (Distinction) – 2018