Sara joined SCA ONTIER as a trainee solicitor in January 2019. Sara has previous experience in Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration as well as White Collar Crime and Government Enforcement (WCCGE). Sara’s experience covers a range of commercial disputes located in the UK and overseas. Sara was previously a paralegal at SCA ONTIER between 2016 and 2017 after which she worked for Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP as a paralegal for just under two years.
Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Assisted in the representation of the defendant in the UK case relating to liquidation matters in Guernsey, the U.K. and the Isle of Man concerning the Tchenguiz Discretionary Trust. The UK case concerned the construction (or in the alternative, rectification) of an agreement between the parties. Murray Holdings Ltd v Oscatello Investments Ltd  EWHC 162 (Ch).
- Assisted in a case involving dissenting shareholders in the Cayman Islands under section 238 of the Companies Law which settled before trial.
- Assisted in a successful claim against an international bank regarding whether they had breached FCA rules and whether their refusal to meet the margin call was so unreasonable as to amount to a failure to mitigate loss or a break in the chain of causation. Mahmoud Haji Haider Abdullah (and others) v. Credit Suisse (UK) Limited and Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited  EWHC 3016 (Comm).
- Assisted in the successful Defence of a Non-Party Costs Application against an employee of an overseas company after the company lost proceedings in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice of England and Wales Trident Australasia Pty Ltd v Versabuild LLC and Cox and others (Costs respondents)  EWHC 2890 (Comm).
- Assisted in the representation of the Claimant for repudiatory breach of contract by the defendants Plantation Holdings (FZ) LLC v Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC  EWHC 520 (Comm).
- Assisted in the successful Defence of an application for a detailed assessment of costs by a solicitor’s firm.
- a CMA investigation relating to alleged anti-competitive conduct by a company
- regulators from multiple jurisdictions investigating alleged financial investment crimes
- an NCA investigation alleging bribery of foreign officials.
Sara’s pro bono experience (all at Skadden)
- Human Dignity Trust Paper – Sara assisted in legal research and analysis of the laws across the globe regarding gender expression whether they be enshrined in public order/vagrancy/misdemeanour offences or set in statute.
- Advocacy Helpdesk – East London Family Court - attend the East London Family Court and provided legal advice and representation in court for Litigants in Person. She represented clients at case management hearings, namely in relation to Child Arrangement Orders.
- Domestic Violence Clinic – At this clinic Sara assisted in providing advice to people seeking help with their divorce, child custody and non-molestation cases.
- International Refuge Assistance Project (“IRAP”) – Sara worked on two cases for IRAP for relocating refugee families to third countries. Sara regularly communicated with the clients in Arabic and assisted in updates to the UN.