Senior Associate | ONTIER UK · London
Derek Stinson is an experienced corporate, commercial and regulatory lawyer who joined the firm in 2013 having previously spent six years at Dentons. Derek is a specialist in corporate finance transactions with strong experience in mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, private equity and capital markets transactions. He also advises on share schemes, due diligence and corporate governance matters.
Derek undertakes a broad range of commercial work and can advise on distributor/agent contracts with a European and international reach, including competition law and data protection matters. Derek has particular experience of advising in the energy sector and has clients in the oil and gas sector as well as renewables, including wind and solar energy. He also works and advises in the banking and insurance sectors and is an expert on financial services regulatory matters. Derek is a member of the Governance Institute having successfully completed the Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme and he advises on both contentious and non-contentious corporate governance matters.
- Advising a major mobile phone insurance company on FSMA regulation.
- Advising a hedge fund manager on the offshore investment into a Brazilian eco resort.
- Advising a major Spanish beer producer on supply and agency contracts.
- Advising start-ups on seed funding and follow-on funding.
- Advising listed Danish wind turbine company on installations across the world.
- Advising Mexican property magnate on several investments including parent company guarantees.
- Advising South American commodities traders on their joint venture arrangements.
- Advising on the international reorganisation of a German media conglomerate.
- Advising one of the UK’s most popular banks on its joint venture arrangements.
- Advising a Canadian oil conglomerate on a FTSE listing.
- Advising a Portuguese fashion retailer on its share option schemes.
- Advising on public and private takeovers and acquisitions.
- Advising on intellectual property licencing and trademark applications and disputes.
- University of Western Ontario (English Lit) 1998.
- City University (LLB) – 2:1 (Hons).
- Admitted as a Solicitor in English & Wales 2007.
- Admitted to the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.
- Senior Associate since 2013.