Partner | ONTIER UK · London
Paul is a vastly experienced commercial and insolvency litigator, who joined the firm in 2007, and is a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ in the Legal 500. Paul is recognised as ’an outstanding partner with excellent instincts’ and ’has a nose for what the right answer is’.
Paul undertakes a broad range of dispute resolution work, both nationally and internationally, across a number of commercial and business sectors (including banking and finance, oil and energy and insolvent schemes of arrangement). Paul has recently been instructed to act in proceedings involving cryptocurrencies and on-line trading platforms.
Paul has particular experience in multi-jurisdictional and cross-border disputes, predominantly in offshore jurisdictions such as the British Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands (but also recently in Mexico and the USA).
Paul’s experience ranges from the High Court through to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (including the Privy Council). He also has considerable experience of international arbitration, including under the auspices of the ICC and LCIA, as well as ad-hoc arbitration proceedings.
- Acted for Grupo Mexico, the largest mining and infrastructure corporation in Mexico, and its CEO in a successful claim to rectify the Register of Companies on the ground that Infund LLP had been restored to the Register by fraud. Whilst the claim was for declaratory relief, its value to the Claimants exceeded $1bn. Grupo Mexico & Anor -v- Infund LLP & Others  EWHC 1306 (Ch).
- Acted for the Claimants in a claim alleging breach of FSA/FCA rules in selling index-linked notes in which claim the Claimants were awarded damages of $23.6m. Haider Abdullah & Others -v- Credit Suisse & Anor  EWHC 3016 (Comm).
- Acted for a Slovenian commodities trading company in LCIA arbitration proceedings against a Croatian oil producer in a dispute arising out of contracts for the sale of green petroleum coke and calcinated petroleum coke.
- Acted for a Cayman Islands registered Russian hedge fund in relation to proceedings brought in the High Court.
- Acted for the liquidator of a Cayman Islands bank in an audit negligence claim against Arthur Andersen LLP for sums in excess of $880 million.
- Acted for a French company in successfully bringing an appeal in England against the Joint Administrators of a French company, Rover France SAS, where the Centre of Main Interest of the respondent company was held to be in England by virtue of the administration of its parent company, MG Rover Group Limited.
- Advised the officers of an English registered company in respect of parallel claims in England and Australia, where the parent company was registered in the Republic of Ireland and its subsidiary was registered in Australia.
- Acted for two Lebanese companies in contempt proceedings brought in the High Court; which matter also included conspiracy proceedings, an appeal to the Privy Council from the Court of Appeal of Bermuda and related proceedings in 12 jurisdictions worldwide:  EWHC 2458 (Comm),  EWHC 2640 (Comm),  EWHC 409 (Comm),  EWHC 1024 (Comm),  EWHC 1780 (Comm);  EWCA Civ 21,  EWCA Civ 64,  EWCA Civ 898;  UKPC 29 (Bermuda).
- Acted for a Spanish company in an appeal against an ICC arbitration award under sections 67 and 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996: B v A  EWHC 1626 (Comm).
- Advised a major private equity company in relation to a dispute concerning insurance coverage and underlying proceedings in the USA.
- Advised the subsidiary investment company of the largest bank in Saudi Arabia in relation to a software licensing dispute.
- Acted for the joint liquidators of a BVI company in relation to a proprietary claim advanced by an English creditor, which claim arose out of the Sinclair v Versailles litigation.
- Acted for the General Partner of a BVI Limited Partnership (in liquidation) in proceedings in the BVI, which included further proceedings in the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal and the Privy Council.
- Acted for the Trustees of a multi-million pound pension fund in proceedings brought against Mercer Limited and MetLife Assurance Limited arising out of the bulk purchase of annuities.
- Acted for a Swiss company following an assignment from an Austrian bank in a dispute against various companies in Russia arising out of a default under a loan agreement and ensuing enforcement proceedings in the BVI and Cyprus.
- Acting in proceedings brought against a Luxembourg based Trustee of a trust in St Vincent & The Grenadines.
- Manchester University (LLB) 1998
- College of Law, Guilford (LPC) 1999
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Partner since 2012