Partner | ONTIER UK · London
Oliver has well over 20 years’ experience of high-value commercial litigation and arbitration. He is recognised as a recommended lawyer by the Legal 500 in the fields of Commercial Litigation, International Arbitration and Civil Fraud. He is described in the Legal 500 as “highly regarded” and having "a very loyal client basis". Oliver’s work is almost exclusively international and cross-border in nature. He has been involved in cases involving many different jurisdictions throughout Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America and North America.
Oliver has handled disputes across a broad range of sectors, including recently matters arising out of or related to accounting, banking and finance, commodities, energy, real estate and shipping. He has particular expertise in fraud disputes having handled several very large fraud disputes and has published several articles on this topic. He also has considerable experience of international arbitration, including under the auspices of the ICC, LCIA and LMAA as well as ad-hoc arbitration proceedings.
Oliver joined SCA ONTIER in 2011 having originally qualified as a barrister and worked at niche firms specialising in high-value international litigation and arbitration.
- Acted for a substantial Russian company in relation to claims in fraud and breach of confidence worth in the region of US$200 million made against a leading global financial institution.
- Acted for an ultra-high net-worth individual based in the Middle East and a BVI corporate entity in successfully defending claims in dishonest assistance, fraudulent misrepresentation and bribery arising out of the purchase of two prime central London properties.
- Acted for an Iberian bio-fuels manufacturer in a commodities dispute with a leading international energy and commodities company.
- Advising a Venezuelan conglomerate in relation to a dispute with a UK PLC arising out of an agency agreement.
- Advising a Spanish Bank in relation to a claim against a UK asset management firm.
- Advising a Venezuelan commodities trading company in relation to a dispute with a Swiss commodities trading company arising out of a profit-sharing agreement.
- Pursuing a derivative claim on behalf of a Middle Eastern minority shareholder in an AIM listed prime London property developer with a market capital of approximately £30 million.
- Otkritie International Investment Management Ltd & Ors v Urumov & Ors  EWHC 191 (Comm) - acted for two individuals and a BVI registered company in defending claims in conspiracy and dishonest assistance of in excess of US$160 million brought by a Russian bank. The claim, which related to trading in Argentinian sovereign warrants, culminated in a 13-week trial in the Commercial Court.
- Inversiones Frieira SL & Anor v Colyzeo Investors II LP & Anor  EWHC 1450 (Ch) (29 May 2012) - acting for two Spanish-based investors in relation to a dispute concerning a US$1 billion investment fund.
- Acted for the majority shareholder in a real estate fund against a major international investment bank in ICC arbitration proceedings with a value of €110 million.
- Acted for the designer of the Stormtrooper helmets used in the Star Wars films in relation to a Damages Inquiry arising out of the unsuccessful copyright infringement proceedings brought by Lucasfilm in the English Courts up to and including the Supreme Court.
- Acting for the inventors of new battery technology concerning disputes arising in relation to the intellectual property rights to the technology.
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian educational organisation against a major international bank regarding the release of a freezing injunction and the return of monies which had been wrongly frozen.
- Deutsche Bank AG and others v Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communications Inc and another  EWCA Civ 1091;  2 Lloyds Rep 619 - acted for a Taiwanese telecommunications company in a dispute involving sums in excess of US$200 million arising out of a syndicated loan agreement.
- FKI Engineering Ltd and another v Stribog Ltd  EWCA Civ 622;  WLR (D) 178 - acted for a subsidiary of a UK plc in respect of a claim for €40 million arising out of an inter-company agreement for the transfer of a wind turbine manufacturing business.
- Acted for a shipowner in relation to injunctive proceedings and three arbitration claims totalling US$30 million arising out of the sale and purchase of three bulk carriers under construction in China.
- Datasat Communications Limited and others v Swindon Town Football Club Limited and another  EWHC 859 (COMM) - acted for two individuals in a claim arising out of negotiations regarding a potential investment in Swindon Town Football Club.
- Acted for a British food manufacturer in injunctive proceedings brought to prevent a supplier from ceasing to supply at a contractually agreed price.
- Aboualsaud v Aboukhater  EWHC 2122 (QB),  All ER (D) 107 (Sep) - acted for two individuals in the defence of a claim for €21.5 million arising out of an alleged oral agency agreement relating to the sale of a luxury hotel in Monte Carlo.
- FKI Engineering Ltd and another v De Wind Holdings Ltd and another  EWCA Civ 316 - acted for a UK plc in defending a claim for €70 million brought by a former German subsidiary arising out of the sale of the subsidiary.
- Haugland Tankers AS v RMK Marine  EWHC 321,  1 Lloyds Rep 573 - acted for a Norwegian ship owner in a claim against a Turkish shipyard in relation to an option agreement for the construction of an oil product tanker.
- Acted for a UK plc in proceedings in the Northern Irish courts involving claims for fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of warranty totalling approximately £15 million arising out of the acquisition of a food manufacturing business based in Belfast.
- Acted for a Brazilian drilling contractor in arbitration proceedings against a Norwegian rig owner in relation to an agreement for the charter of two dynamically positioned semi-submersible drilling rigs.
- Pegler Limited v Wang (UK) Limited  EWHC Technology 137;  BLR 218 - acted for the subsidiary of a UK plc in the pursuit of a claim for £23 million in damages arising out of the failed implementation of an integrated computer hardware and software system.
- National Power Plc v National Grid Company Plc  EWCA Civ 1227 - acted for National Power plc pursuing claims in arbitration proceedings for £25 million in a dispute relating to connection charges payable under the contractual framework resulting from the privatisation of the electricity industry.
- University of Sheffield (LLB) – 1993
- Inns of Court School of Law – Bar Vocational Course – 1994
- Called to the Bar as a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn – 1994
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales – 1998
- Active member of the British-Russian Law Association and the London Solicitors Litigation Association.